Fogged Lenses Are A Serious Nuisance
When safety glasses fog and impact vision, injuries occur not just from impaired vision but also from lack of compliance. According to OHS, a 2009 study published in Accident Analysis and Prevention magazine indicates that construction, manufacturing, service and retail workers often neglect wearing safety eyewear because of fogging. In fact, fogging is the number one vision-related reason for not wearing safety glasses.
Safety glasses with anti-fog technology can make a significant difference in situations where fogging results.
Incident Prevention states that anti-fog safety glasses: “have been shown to improve performance significantly, resulting in increased eye-protection use.”
In other words, where fogged safety eyewear is a reason for not wearing them, many individuals are now wearing safety glasses and goggles because of their anti-fog technology.
5 Reasons To Wear Safety Eyewear With Anti-Fog Lenses:
- Combating heat and humidity: Situations involving strenuous activity, temperature, and humidity usually warrant using anti-fog safety eyewear. High-humidity environments create more moisture, which causes fogging. Additionally, high-heat situations increase worker perspiration, which leads to additional moisture. Individuals working in construction, utilities, the paper industry and the power generation industry often experience challenges with fogged eyewear because of heat and humidity.
- Managing sudden environmental changes: Individuals going from air conditioning inside to hot, muggy conditions outside, and those going from cold outside temps to a heated indoor environment must contend with fogged eyewear. Food service workers going in and out of coolers, forklift drivers going inside/outside throughout the day, and police officers and other first responders are examples of professions frequently in these situations.
- Decreasing fogging frustrations: Fogged eyewear not only reduces a worker’s efficiency, but it also exists as a constant frustration causing many individuals to opt out of wearing safety eyewear at all. The resulting non-compliance exposes eyes to a host of safety hazards.
- Enhancing vision by increasing visibility: Obviously, glasses clear of fog result in clearer vision. Tasks requiring quick reactions increases a person’s need for clear visibility and reliable protection. Many time-sensitive jobs can’t afford to waste time constantly cleaning lenses.
- Improving performance and efficiency: This reason for choosing anti-fog safety glasses combines the four above reasons. Reducing fogging issues significantly increase employee performance and effectiveness. Workers stop removing their eyewear in frustration and safety compliance increases dramatically.
Lens coating can significantly impact the effectiveness of safety eyewear, particularly when fogging is a concern. Anti-fog coatings control moisture condensation to keep your vision clear. Today’s manufacturers provide a huge selection of anti-fog eyewear to meet every need. They’ve also developed extreme anti-fog safety goggles for those situations where typical anti-fog coating simply isn’t enough by itself.
Safety eyewear with anti-fog technology significantly decreases eye injury by increasing compliance through reduced fogging frustration. With the anti-fog technology available in today’s safety eyewear, fogging is no longer a reason to not wear protective eyewear.