Eye Injury Prevention Month occurring in July ““ right in the middle of summer ““ is no coincidence. With an increase in outdoor activities from yard work to sports to fireworks to home maintenance, reasons for remembering eye safety during the summer months seem obvious.
Yet, summer often flies by with many never considering the prevention of eye injury until it’s too late. Don”™t become one of these statistics”¦
- More than one million people suffer from eye injury yearly.
- Eye injury occurs at a rate of more than 2,000 per day.
- About 1,000 eye injuries occur daily in the workplace, which means that 50% of eye injury takes place outside of the workplace.
- Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet radiation on your eyes.
- UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.
Don”™t let the fun and carefree feeling of summer keep you from taking a few basic steps to prevent eye injury & disease. Help keep your summer memories safe with two simple habits.
- Wear sunglasses regularly. Get the proper UV protection and eliminate excuses.
- Wear safety glasses regularly. Keep summertime fun by avoiding eye injuries.
That’s it. Pretty simple, right? Wearing quality sunglasses and safety glasses is all it takes to eliminate 90% of eye injuries and to prevent disease caused by cumulative damage to the eyes by the sun.
Take the first step today, and purchase the appropriate eyewear to have ready when needed. Then continue enjoying a happy and safe summer.