Eye Injury Prevention Month occurring in July, right in the middle of summer, is no coincidence. With an increase in outdoor activities from yard work and sports to fireworks and home maintenance, the need to remember eye safety is abundant.
Yet, summer often flies by with many people never considering the prevention of an eye injury until it’s too late.
Don’t Become A Statistic
More than one million people suffer from eye injury yearly, and many experience debilitating eye diseases and disorders.
- Eye injury occurs at a rate of more than 2,000 per day.
- About 1,000 eye injuries occur daily in the workplace.
- About 50% of eye injury takes place outside of the workplace.
- Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet radiation on eyes.
- UV exposure is linked to macular degeneration, solar retinitis and corneal dystrophies.
Don’t let the fun and carefree feeling of summer keep you from establishing a few basic habits that will help prevent eye injury & disease.
2 Simple Habits
Help keep summer memories positive with these two simple habits:
- Wear sunglasses regularly. Get the proper UV protection and eliminate excuses.
- Wear safety glasses regularly. Keep summertime fun by avoiding eye injuries.
Fortunately, there are many eyewear options that meet both of these needs in a single pair!
Pretty simple, right?
Wearing quality sunglasses and safety glasses is all it takes to eliminate 90% of eye injuries and to prevent disease caused by cumulative damage to the eyes by the sun. Begin these habits today by purchasing safety eyewear that best meets your needs. Then, simply enjoy a happy and safe summer.