In order to prevent the over 25,000 eye injuries occurring each year, eye safety must be a daily priority in the workplace. To help in that prevention effort, Prevent Blindness America has declared March to be Workplace Eye Wellness Month as a way to reemphasize the importance of keeping eyes safe while at work.
To that end, let’s look at ways to promote eye wellness in the workplace and thus help reduce the number of eye injuries on the job.
- Wear proper eye protection. About 90% of eye injuries in the workplace can be prevented through the wearing of proper eye protection. Do this by first knowing what’s available and then by choosing the best option for your situation.
- Follow employer guidelines. OSHA requirements provide clear guidelines for employers, and Promoting Workplace Safety is essential to eye injury prevention. Yet, none of these guidelines and programs matter if individuals fail to follow them.
- Keep eye protection clean & clear. Make sure you have Good Habits for Safety Glass Maintenance to help ensure your eye protection is working optimally at all times.
- Give your eyes a break. Managing Electronic Display Eye Strain will go a long way in keeping eyes healthy and strong as well as prevent long-term and possibly permanent damage to eyes.
- Establish habits. While your employer may and hopefully does have a workplace eye safety program, the health of the eyes is ultimately up to the individual. For this reason, be sure to understand the Importance of Good Eye Safety Habits.
For those wanting to take eye wellness a step further, Prevent Blindness America offers several options including vision screening programs and educational resources.
While not all injuries in the workplace can be prevented, a lot can be done to greatly reduce not only the number of injuries sustained but also the severity of the injuries that do take place. If an eye injury does take place, promote a return to eye wellness by doing the following BEFORE you need to know what to do.
- Know what to do when an injury happens. We must all ask the question, “Do you know what to do?” when an eye injury occurs. Take steps to make sure the answer to that question is “Yes!” before you need to know.
- Understand the most common causes of injury. Knowing the Most Common Types of Eye Injuries can not only help prevent them, but it can also help in knowing what to do when they happen.
First and foremost, wear eye protection and wear the right eye protection to make sure eyes remain healthy while at work. After that, take steps to educate yourself. Learn the steps for preventing eye injury, and learn what to do when an eye injury happens. Taking these steps will help to ensure that workplace eye wellness is a way of life and not just a once-a-year focus.