Anti-fog solutions are effective for reducing and preventing fog from forming on a variety of surfaces. Typical applications for anti-fog lens treatments include prescription glasses, sunglasses, safety glasses and goggles, and safety shields. Anti-fog solutions are also effective for refrigerator and freezer doors, bathroom mirrors, windows, cameras, and binoculars.
Anti-fog sprays and gels reduce surface tension to keep water droplets from forming. While these treatments provide only a temporary fog-resistant layer, they can be the perfect solution for glasses without built-in anti-fog coatings.
How to Apply Anti-Fog Solutions
To be effective, anti-fog treatments must be applied correctly and with the appropriate frequency. In general, the following steps assure proper application of anti-fog solutions both on plastic and on glass surfaces.
- Clean lenses before applying anti-fog treatment. For details on cleaning lenses, see “How to Clean Your Safety Glasses.”
- Shake the solution thoroughly before applying.
- Apply the solution. Make sure the entire surface of the lens is covered and consider applying it to both sides of lenses.
- Many solutions recommend waiting a minute before wiping off the solution. Check package directions. Note that colder surfaces may require additional drying time.
- Wipe lenses with a dry, lint-free cloth. A wet cloth may remove some anti-fog solutions.
- Buff lenses with another dry, lint-free cloth until clear. This will create a clean shine.
This process will work well for most anti-fog surfaces, but there are a few caveats to consider.
In addition to adhering to the basics for correctly applying anti-fog solution, keep in mind these additional considerations:
- Swim goggles and diving masks require special anti-fog solutions because of their constant contact with water. Other solutions will likely wash off easily.
- Eliminating fog may not be entirely possible in extreme conditions like going from freezing temperatures to hot and humid environments.
- Application frequency is important too. Many anti-fog solutions are easily removed with water, such as during rainy conditions, so be sure to reapply if lenses get wet.
- For sports, apply before each event, game or practice.
- In an environment where fog can be a constant challenge (e.g. construction, manufacturing, service), applying anti-fog solutions more than once daily may be necessary.
A Reasonable Solution
The cost for anti-fog sprays is quite reasonable. Falling just under $7, Super Strength Anti-Fog Treatment provides a solid option for preventing fog.
With the proper tools and a consistent process, keeping glasses and other surfaces clear of fog is easy. From sports safety to safety in work environments to everyday wear of glasses and sunglasses, anti-fog solutions can help fight fog and help keep vision clear.