Most Fall sports are well underway by the end of August. That means September is the perfect opportunity to ensure that we are well-equipped with Sports Safety Glasses. After all, September is Sports Eye Safety Awareness Month, a month dedicated to educating athletes on how to keep their eyes healthy for life.
Emergency rooms see a sports-related eye injury every 13 minutes. About 43 percent of those injuries are to children age 14 and younger. – Prevent Blindness North Carolina
“Children account for over a third of the more than 600,000 eye injuries that occur annually. Eye injuries among children playing sports happen frequently, but the number of children wearing eye protection while playing sports remains low at only about 15 percent.” (The Vision Council)
Adults aren’t much better at wearing eye protection during sports, either. Only about 33% of adults report they do so consistently. Yet, 90 percent of all sports-related eye injuries can be prevented by wearing the proper eye protection.
What athlete wouldn’t be safer wearing safety glasses? But unfortunately, even golf comes with inherent dangers. An errant ball to the eye. Sand flying when hitting in a sand trap. Eye hazards abound in just about every sport.
Reach the Goal of Sports Eye Safety
Some sports — basketball, baseball, softball, lacrosse — present significant eye-injury risks. Others — like water polo, boxing, or martial arts — have a more moderate risk. However, for almost every sport, wearing appropriate safety eyewear is as important as any other piece of gear.
Making eye safety your goal during sports involves some very simple steps.
- Educate. Most people want to know their benefits before committing to a new habit. Eye safety is no different. Understanding Why You Should Wear Safety Eyewear during sports is essential for the motivation to wear it consistently.
- Take the initiative. Simply decide to take the first step by protecting your family’s eyes. Start by spending a few minutes in our Children’s Safety Glasses section, then move into our Sports Eyewear section. You’re sure to find effective and affordable safety glasses for everyone in your family.
- Let children choose. What’s the secret to ensuring your child wears the safety glasses you purchased? Let them pick! We have stylish Pink Kid’s Safety Glasses for the girls and Smoke Lens Safety Glasses for the boys. And those are just a few of the options.
- Spread the word. As you chat with other parents at your child’s sports games and fellow athletes, express the importance of eye safety during sports. Let them know that a simple pair of Sports Eyewear is all that’s needed to prevent most eye injuries.
- Set the example. In most cases, children look to the examples the adults around them set. Plus, the more athletes on the playing field wearing sports safety glasses, the more likely others on the team will wear them too. So wear them yourself to set the example.
Imagine having eye injuries reduced by 90%! While this may sound like a lofty goal, it only takes a simple act to accomplish. If athletes of all sizes, shapes, and ages decide to wear safety eyewear, that goal would quickly become a reality.
What Do You Think?
Do you have a question or comment about this article? I’d love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.